Year 2 - Miss Edwards & Mrs Aichison 2017-18
This half term our topic will be George’s Marvellous Medicine (in line with the whole school Roald Dahl project).
Our learning will link to George’s Marvellous Medicine by:
- Describing the characters
- Making our own potions
- Learning about important historical people (linked to medicine)
- Making a class art project
8.40am – Children in – Morning activities
8.50am - Register
9am – Maths
10am – Break time
10.25am – Assembly
10.40am – English
11.40am – Spelling and Grammar intervention (whole class and small groups)
11.55am – Lunch
12.45pm – Guided Reading
1.15pm – Afternoon topic session
2.30pm – Spelling/Handwriting intervention
2.45pm – Maths intervention (whole class and small groups)
3.10pm – End of the day
Indoor PE – Tuesday
Outdoor PE – Thursday
You child should bring their PE kit every Monday and take it home on a Friday.
All PE kit should have appropriate shoes (pumps for inside, trainers for outside) and everything should be named.
• As your child is now in year 2, we are promoting independence in as many ways as possible…
• All children are encouraged to come into the classroom by themselves (unless you need to speak to an adult at the door)
• Of course we will support where necessary, however on the whole, the children will be encouraged to look after their own belongings.
We will be working on being resilient learners and not giving up when things get tricky
• Your child will make lots of progress in year 2, to support this, please encourage them to complete their homework.
• Each week your child will be given:
• Maths challenges
• Optional writing challenges
Please read with your child as much as possible at home and write a comment in their yellow reading record.
Every Monday your child will be tested on their spellings and given new ones for the next week.
Please work with your child to practise these spellings.
If you want new ways of practising these spellings let me know!
• As a class, we have written our own class rules.
• Should your child follow these rules, they will get lots of stars on their star chart!
• When your child gets 10 stars, they get a bigger star in their ‘bucket’.
• There is a bucket for each house in school and your child knows which house they are in!
If you ever have any concerns or questions, do not hesitate to speak to us at the door in the morning or organise a meeting after school
Thanks, in advance for your support.